There are currently five comics in the Mass Effect universe. As the game is considered to be the player's story, none of comics, like the novels, feature Commander Shepard as the main character. The sole exception is Mass Effect: Genesis, which, being interactive, allows the player to control Shepard's decisions.
Comics and Comic Series
- Mass Effect: Redemption: A four-issue series that serves as a prequel to Mass Effect 2, and is set a few months after the opening events of Mass Effect 2. The plot involves Liara T'Soni, Cerberus, and a mission of the utmost urgency. The first issue was released on January 26, 2010, with the release of Mass Effect 2, and the Mass Effect 2 Limited Collectors' Edition had a special edition of the comic book. Written by Mac Walters, scripted by John Jackson Miller, drawn by Omar Francia, colored by Michael Atiyeh and lettered by Michael Heisler. Cover designs by Daryl Mandryk.
- Mass Effect: Incursion: A short 8 page comic released on June 21, 2010 through IGN. The plot revolves around Aria T'Loak and is set one week before the opening events of Mass Effect 2. Written and scripted by Mac Walters, drawn by Eduardo Francisco, colored by Michael Atiyeh and lettered by Michael Heisler.
- Mass Effect: Inquisition: A short 8-page comic released on October 25, 2010, through USA Today. Taking place after Mass Effect 2, the plot revolves around Captain Bailey and his investigation of Executor Pallin and allegations of corruption within C-Sec.
- Mass Effect: Genesis: The "Interactive Backstory Comic" included in the Playstation 3 release of Mass Effect 2. It recounts the story of the original Mass Effect and allows the player to make six of the key decisions Shepard could make in that game. It was written by Mac Walters.
- Mass Effect: Evolution: The second four-issue series released by BioWare. Evolution is set in 2157 during the First Contact War, and the story covers the origins of the Illusive Man and Cerberus. The first issue was released on January 19, 2011. The series was produced by the same team that did the Redemption series, but with different cover artists. Cover designs were done by Massimo Carnevale, with an alternate cover done by Joe Quinones.
- Mass Effect: Conviction: A short 8-page comic released in September 2011 through a limited Dark Horse Digital promotion. Days after the events of Arrival, David Anderson locates Alliance marine James Vega on Omega and tasks him with guarding an important prisoner.
- Mass Effect: Invasion: A third four-issue comic series. Invasion focuses on Aria T'Loak's battle against the human-survivalist organization Cerberus as it attacks Omega. The first issue was released on October 19, 2011.
- On March 13, 2010, BioWare and Dark Horse greenlit another Mass Effect comic series. As yet unnamed, it will feature another original story developed by Mac Walters and John Jackson Miller, this time set after the events of Mass Effect 2. Unlike Redemption,Evolution and Invasion, the new series will have no set length and will be produced on an ongoing basis.
|Mass Effect Series|
|Games||Mass Effect (CE, ♫) • Mass Effect 2 (CE, ♫) • Mass Effect 3 (CE, ♫, Multiplayer) • Trilogy • Mass Effect Legendary Edition|
Mass Effect: Andromeda (DE, ♫, Multiplayer)
|Mobile Games and Apps||Mass Effect Galaxy • Mass Effect: Infiltrator • Mass Effect 3: Datapad • Mass Effect: Andromeda APEX HQ|
|Downloadable Content||Mass Effect • Mass Effect 2 • Mass Effect 3|
|Books||Revelation • Ascension • Retribution • Deception • Nexus Uprising • Initiation • Annihilation|
|Comics||Redemption • Evolution • Invasion • Homeworlds • Foundation • Incursion • Inquisition|
Conviction • Blasto: Eternity is Forever • He Who Laughs Best • Library Edition • Discovery
|Films||Paragon Lost (♫) • Mass Effect|