You will be facing a lot of barriers with a tasty side-helping of armor in this mission. Warp and Warp Ammo are highly effective against either defense. You will find groups of mechs intermixed with mercenaries throughout the mission, so AI Hacking can be put to plenty of use as well.
Illium EditLOKI Mechs, greets Shepard upon arrival on Illium. She informs Shepard that Liara T'Soni has paid for the Normandy's docking and administrative fees. Careena also states that Liara would like to speak with Shepard. Liara can be found near the trading floor. EDI advises Shepard that Liara may have information on Samara's location. Liara tells Shepard that Samara arrived recently and registered with Tracking Officer Dara. Officer Dara can be found at the transportation hub. Officer Dara tells Shepard that Samara is at the commercial spaceport. Shepard can hail a cab to the spaceport by either a dialogue option with Officer Dara or by walking to a console at the center of the hub. Upon further inquiry, Officer Dara tells Shepard that justicars are like Spectres, but no government oversees them. Justicars are only bound by their code. Going to the spaceport is a one-way trip; once at the spaceport, Shepard cannot return to the rest of Illium without first completing the mission.
Spaceport EditDetective Anaya is talking to the volus merchant Pitne For, discussing the recent murder of Pitne For's business partner, Dakni Kur. A justicar is also investigating the murder. Shepard can talk to several people in the area: Pitne For, a turian worker, and an asari spaceport official. Inside the police station, Shepard learns from Anaya that Samara is at the crime scene. Anaya is anxious to have Samara leave as soon as possible. Her superiors have ordered her to detain Samara, but doing so would probably result in the detective's death. Anaya gives Shepard permission to enter the crime scene, but warns that Eclipse mercenaries are probably involved in the murder and control the back alleys. There is a weapons locker in the police station in case anyone needs to change weapons and a medical station with Medi-gel.
Soon after Shepard crosses the police tape, there is a console on the right with shipping details that will start the assignment Stolen Goods Found. Shepard can walk to the end of the corridor and down the stairs to find some salvageable Circuit Boards (+3000 credits).
Shepard overhears Eclipse mercenaries deploying a squad to hunt down the justicar when moving towards the staircase. Up the stairs and around the corner are an Eclipse Vanguard, three LOKI Mechs, and a Sisterhood Initiate. There is plenty of cover allowing one to move from cover to cover to pick them off one by one. It is also possible to snipe them before they notice your presence.
Overall Combat Strategy: For the majority of the merc battles you encounter on this entire dossier mission, even on insanity, there is no need to make the battles hard at all. Place your squadmates into cover / kneeling down well behind Shepard on staircases, in hallways, or in prior rooms to the section you are trying to complete. Shepard can then move forward slowly, peek around corners / doorways, and then use weapons / powers on the mercs and LOKI mechs. When Shepard's shields go down, you can move back down where your squadmates are in cover. Vanguards will come up close to Shepard but will stay in cover. LOKI mechs will close distances but you can walk far backwards in most cases to chip away at them until they fall.
Both Samara and Anaya are inside the police station. Samara is not handcuffed or in a cell, because the Code would require her to attack if restrained. Shepard can advise Anaya that her superiors are sending her on a suicidal task by detaining the justicar. If Shepard does so, both squad members will comment that Shepard always sends them on deadly missions nearly twice a day, to which Shepard replies that at least she/he is smart about it.
Shepard can question Pitne For some more. An optional Renegade interrupt can be used for 5 Renegade points. Pitne For reveals that he was smuggling for Eclipse an illegal biotics-enhancing chemical named Minagen X3. However, Minagen X3 can also cause death, which is why Eclipse wants him dead. The volus gives Shepard a pass card allowing access to the Eclipse base. The pass card is used on the elevator next to the police station.
Eclipse Hideout Edit
Immediately outside the elevator when you arrive will be a single LOKI Mech. Be ready for it! Past the door is an Eclipse Vanguard and two LOKI Mechs, who soon will be reinforced by two more Eclipse Vanguards and a Sisterhood Initiate.
Combat Strategy: Take cover on the right side of the doorway once you've opened it and take out the mercs before proceeding into the room. The LOKI Mechs tend to remain in their starting location and won't close the distance to your location.
Throughout this level are toxic canisters containing Minagen X3. If destroyed, the toxic canisters will emit a red cloud that sometimes is opaque enough to obscure your line of sight to enemies. The cloud does not dissipate but can become more translucent. EDI tells Shepard that the toxic cloud will enhance one's biotic abilities but concentrated amounts are harmful. Being in the vicinity of the cloud will trigger a toxicity level meter. At full toxicity, Shepard will start taking damage to shields and eventually to health. Depending on how biotics are evolved, the Minagen X3 exposure either increases the damage or range of effect of Shepard's biotics.M-27 Scimitar Assault Shotgun. It is advisable to take the opportunity to switch heavy weapons to the Missile Launcher or the Particle Beam. Behind a door on the right is Elnora, a recently initiated Eclipse mercenary. Using the Renegade interrupt will kill Elnora and garner 5 Renegade points. Alternately, Shepard can question Elnora and learn about the Ardat-Yakshi, after which Shepard lets Elnora go and gains 5 Paragon points. If one skips past Elnora's room to come back later (once you find the evidence against her), she will be gone, depriving you of any Renegade or Paragon points. In the same room as Elnora are power cells and you can Download Results from Sample 634 Analysis for a Biotic Damage (Hyper-Amp) upgrade.
Shepard and the team go up the stairs to encounter more Eclipse Vanguards, Sisterhood Initiates, LOKI Mechs, and toxic canisters. Use cover and weapons to destroy the mechs and mercenaries and try to conserve ammo. The Vanguards are dangerous in close quarters with their shotguns. There is also a medical station with Medi-gel and a hackable Eclipse Terminal (+3000 credits). After some more stairs are the usual assortment of enemies, but also an Eclipse Heavy. There will be another medical station with Medi-gel and another Eclipse Terminal (+6000 credits).
Past more stairs, a door, and an auto-save point, is a docking bay with more Eclipse. The first Vanguard will appear suddenly and you'll need to grab cover. As you advance forward toward her location and confront a second Vanguard you'll see a gunship. The gunship does not need to be destroyed yet, as it will quickly withdraw, but you can sometimes get a pot shot in just to damage it.
Past the spot with the Vanguards, the docking bay widens out and is full of the usual Eclipse enemies including Heavies. From the room you're in take out the Heavy and the LOKI Mech up on the raised platform/bridge. You can then dash across it to reach a good position for taking on the Eclipse emerging at the other end of the bay.
In an alcove on the left from where you came into this room there is a crate of refined platinum (+2000 platinum).
In the room after this fight is over is another power cells and another medical station with Medi-gel. If you didn't collect the M-27 Scimitar Assault Shotgun before, this is the second location one is available for pick up. There is a Data File you can listen to with audio from Elnora in which she admits to killing the volus, which can be later given to Detective Anaya.
After another auto-save point, Shepard's team comes out on another docking bay on which there are a trio of LOKI Mechs and power cells. Do not proceed across the bridge until you are prepared to fight the gunship. Moving Shepard halfway across the bridge in this section will trigger the gunship.
Combat Strategy: Depending upon the character class, difficulty level, and your level at this point in the game, there are several items to take into account when facing the gunship. They are noted below:
- Assuming you have enough heavy ammo for the moment, leave the power cells where they are for now, since grabbing them in the middle of the fight in one of the breaks where the gunship moves away will also restock the ammo of all your other weapons.
- The gunship behaves differently than Tarak's gunship in the Dossier: Archangel mission. It moves slowly and usually flies low allowing you to get off plenty of shots to whittle down its armor and destroy it. Sometimes, it flies away from the docking bay. Other times, it flies further into the docking bay, following you. Be careful about what you use for cover, since some of the crates are fragile and easily destroyed.
- Once the gunship flies into the docking bay, it will periodically start dropping several FENRIS Mechs at a time, which will cross the bridge and try to attack you while you focus on the gunship.
- The M-920 Cain can take out the gunship in a single shot, but you will be exposed to the gunship's fire while charging it up. A well placed M-920 Cain shot can take it down by aiming high and to the left of the open space where the gunshup can first be targeted. Not a fun or challenging battle with this method but it will give just enough room for the auto-seek to take the gunship down without ever having to engage it.
- Retreating back to the entrance room you started in immediately upon the appearance of the gunship is actually the safest course of action. Move far enough back into the room and it will put you temporarily out of reach of the gunship's weapons. Place your squadmates into cover behind Shepard so they will be ready for the FENRIS Mechs the gunship will drop. You can move out to use weapons / powers at the gunship and return to the safety of the entrance to quickly deal with the FENRIS Mechs when they arrive.
Note: Take care if you choose to place your squad in the starting room as the gunship will fly almost on top of your position and can shoot bullets / rockets down at your location if you are not far enough inside the room. The FENRIS Mechs will be dropped right next to your positions as well.
After the battle with the gunship, grab the power cells (if you didn't before / during the battle) before crossing over the bridge. Shepard can grab a med-kit with Medi-gel to the right of the door. Once Shepard has collected everything from the room you must bypass the door to continue.
Inside the room will be a Shipping Manifest that confirms that Pitne For was smuggling Minagen X3 and red sand for the Eclipse, which initiates the Smuggling Evidence assignment. There is also an Eclipse Terminal (+6000 credits).
Moving onto the next room there is a drugged volus named Niftu Cal, who is a captured employee of Pitne For. The Eclipse apparently injected many drugs into him. He is amusingly delusional and believes he is a biotic god. Shepard can encourage him to charge Captain Wasea, the local Eclipse commander for Renegade points or, using a Paragon interrupt, Shepard can knock him out for Paragon points.
Moving forward into the next area, there will be a weapons locker, a medical station with Medi-gel, and the third and final chance to pick up the M-27 Scimitar Assault Shotgun if you still have not picked it up.
Save your game before proceeding through the final door to the last battle.
Captain Wasea EditArmor Piercing Ammo power helps. She will also have several Eclipse Heavies and Sisterhood Initiates with her.
Combat Strategies: There are several strategies to finish this battle. All work equally well depending upon your character class, difficulty level, your level, and your combat play style.
- One strategy is to take down the other mercs in the room before going after Captain Wasea - however this leads to a much longer and potentially more dangerous battle.
- Another strategy is to go after Captain Wasea first. Hitting Captain Wasea immediately with Stasis (if you have it) will stun her long enough for you to unload a lot of damage and possibly take her out right away.
- Heavy weapons such as the Arc Projector are similarly effective. Alternatively, firing the M-920 Cain at Captain Wasea the moment the battle starts will instantly obliterate her and any mercs present, hilariously ending the confrontation in less than 10 seconds.
Throughout the battle, Captain Wasea will throw toxic canisters at you, exploding where you are, requiring you to move and change cover - keep an eye on your toxicity meter. She also uses many biotic attacks. Eventually if the battle continues for some time, Captain Wasea will lift the heavy cargo containers behind her and retreat up to a new area where there are even more toxic containers to throw around. Note: If Captain Wasea is killed quickly, the heavy containers won't get moved, and the area will remain closed to the player. There are no credits or other items available in that area so there is nothing to be missed if you kill Captain Wasea quickly.
After the battle is over there is a nearby hackable Eclipse Terminal (+3000 credits).
On the desk where desk Captain Wasea originally stood (before the battle started) is a datapad that Shepard can pick up with the information Samara was looking for.
After picking up the datapad, Shepard can choose to stay or return to the spaceport.
Shepard goes inside the police station and tells Samara that the person she is hunting for left on the AML Demeter. Samara then agrees to join Shepard. She swears service to Shepard for the length of the mission, overriding whatever the Code may dictate. If you do not choose to return to ship as the last conversation option with Samara, Shepard can talk to Detective Anaya and tell her that Elnora killed the volus, though doing so nets no experience, credits, or morality points. Anaya will say the evidence is inadmissible, but Samara will vouch for Shepard.
If you still have the datapad copy related to Pitne For's Smuggling Evidence, it can be given to Anaya for 4,200 credits and 5 Paragon points, which also finishes the assignment. Shepard talks to either Anaya or Samara to leave the area and return to the Normandy. Shepard is unable to return to the spaceport afterwards.
When you return to the Normandy, Jacob welcomes Samara to the crew. Shepard can make some comments about her abilities and that they need them for some Renegade points. After that Samara requests a room with a view of space. Shepard tells Jacob to put her in the Starboard Observation Deck on the Crew Quarters Deck.
Following completion of the mission, a news report can be overheard on Illium about Detective Anaya, Pitne For, and the Eclipse mercenaries. Henceforth when you visit Illium and talk to Officer Dara, she'll tell you how envious she is that you have a justicar in your crew. If you bring Samara along, Officer Dara will note the justicar's presence, to which Samara will reply in a very business-like manner.
After the mission, Detective Anaya from the Spaceport sends Shepard this email, entitled "Still alive.":
- A-61 Mantis Gunship
- Captain Wasea
- Eclipse Heavy
- Eclipse Vanguard
- FENRIS Mech
- LOKI Mech
- Sisterhood Initiate
Mission Summary Edit
Recruited Samara for the team.
- Experience reward: 1,000 (1,250)
- Credits: 55,200 or 60,000
- Cerberus Funding 30,000
- Credits Found: 25,200 (if datapad given to Detective Anaya) or 30,000 (if datapad given to Pitne For)
- Platinum: 2,000
- If you do not pick up the M-27 Scimitar at any of the three points, then you will be given an M-15 Vindicator after talking with Samara in the Police Station. An M-27 Scimitar will still be given as a reward but the M-15 Vindicator will not be noted in the mission summary.
- The terminal that is used to start the missions to acquire Thane and Samara if Liara has already left her desk (due to informing her of the information received on the Shadow Broker from the DLC) is bugged. If the Thane mission is completed first, there is no way to acquire Samara. The only current solution to this bug is to start the missions from Liara before she leaves her desk, or do Samara's mission from the terminal before Thane's.