The form below serves as a tool to describe the project. The form is intended to be as specific as possible to what the project is to accomplish.
- Please place all comments under the Comments heading.
- If there is a discussion page linked, then be sure to check it out as well.
- Also please do not create any articles unless all the details have been worked out, or at least the majority of them.
- Once the article/project has been created/finished, please put a mention that the article/project is completed and provide a redirect to the relevant article/s and talk page/s.
If any new things come up after the project proposal's passing, then please shift the discussion to the relevant article talk page/s.
If you have any questions on how to fill out the form, or any other question, please refer to the Project Forum talk page.
Infoboxes and Navboxes naming are highly inconsistent and convoluted. The plan is to set up a standardised naming scheme and rename the current templates accordingly, especially to prepare new infoboxes/navboxes templates for ME:Andromeda.
- Use a common noun for the template name.
- Use titles in brackets to disambiguate the templates.
- Use shorthand for the trilogy sequels (Mass Effect 1/2/3 to ME/ME2/ME3). If it has a subtitle, use the subtitle name (Mass Effect: Andromeda to Andromeda).
- In the event of Andromeda sequel, the title will be "(Andromeda 2)".
- Although I think it's unlikely, but if for some crazy reason, the title's subtitle has a sub-subtitle (eg. Mass Effect: Andromeda: Beyond Heleus), then it will be "(Andromeda: Beyond Heleus)". I hope we never have to deal with this in the future.
- Finally, cleanup and restrict template categorisation only to the following below (no Mass Effect 3, etc etc). Reasoning: article categories should remain strictly for articles and not have templates listed in it. Auto-categorisation remains unchanged.
- Infobox - Templates, Infobox templates
- Navbox - Templates, Navbox templates
There are two options for the rename (please full list of examples below):
- Option 1 - Use singular noun for infobox and plural noun for navbox naming, followed by title in brackets
- Option 2 - Prefix template type, then the singular noun in lowercase for the naming (except if it's a special noun), followed by title in brackets.
This project will be taken in 2 phases:
- Phase 1 - Rename all the templates and leave a redirect.
- Phase 2 - Update the template names accordingly in the articles, then delete redirect after all articles has been updated.
Why are you doing this?
I'm a perfectionist.
We never had a proper naming standard for our infoboxes and navboxes. This has resulted in various and often times confusing names. It's time to set a standard moving forward for all future templates..
When are you implementing this?
With a deluge of incoming info from ME:A, I hope to get feedback and start as soon as possible. Possibly 2-3 days max after this is proposed.
Use singular noun for infobox or plural noun for navbox, followed by title in brackets
- Infobox - Weapon (ME3), Weapon (Andromeda).
- Navbox - Weapons (ME3), Weapons (Andromeda)
Full list of name change
|Old name||New name|
|Weapon (Mass Effect 2)||Weapon (ME2)|
|Weapon (Mass Effect 3)||Weapon (ME3)|
|Weapon (Mass Effect: Andromeda)||Weapon (Andromeda)|
|ME3MPCharacterBox||MP character (ME3)|
|Old name||New name|
|Weapons (Mass Effect 2)||Weapons (ME2)|
|Weapons (Mass Effect 3)||Weapons (ME3)|
|Weapons (Andromeda)||Weapons (Andromeda)|
|Armor (Mass Effect 3)||Armors (ME3)|
|Squad members footer||Squad (ME)|
|ME2 squad members footer||Squad (ME2)|
|Squad Members (Mass Effect 3)||Squad (ME3)|
|Guides (Mass Effect 3)||Guides (ME3)|
|Guides (Mass Effect: Andromeda)||Guides (Andromeda)|
|Cerberus DLC Footer||DLC (ME2)|
|DLC (Mass Effect 3)||DLC (ME3)|
|Homeworlds Series||Comics (Homeworlds)|
|Foundation Series||Comics (Foundation)|
|Discovery Series||Comics (Discovery)|
|ME3MapsBox||MP maps (ME3)|
|MEAMapsBox||MP maps (Andromeda)|
|ME3MPNavFooter||MP characters (ME3)|
Prefix template type, then the singular noun for infobox or plural noun for navbox, all in lowercase (except if it's a special noun), followed by title in brackets.
- Infobox - Infobox weapon (ME3), Infobox weapon (Andromeda).
- Navbox - Navbox weapons (ME3), Navbox weapons (Andromeda)
Full list of name change
|Old name||New name|
|Adversary||Infobox enemy (ME)|
|AdversariesME2||Infobox enemy (ME2)|
|AdversariesME3||Infobox enemy (ME3)|
|AdversariesMEG||Infobox enemy (Galaxy)|
|AdversariesMEI||Infobox enemy (Infiltrator)|
|ArmourInfoBox||Infobox armor (ME2)|
|Weapon (Mass Effect 2)||Infobox weapon (ME2)|
|Weapon (Mass Effect 3)||Infobox weapon (ME3)|
|Weapon (Mass Effect: Andromeda)||Infobox weapon (Andromeda)|
|ME3MPCharacterBox||Infobox MP character (ME3)|
|Old name||New name|
|MEEnemiesBox||Navbox enemies (ME)|
|ME2EnemiesBox||Navbox enemies (ME2)|
|ME3EnemiesBox||Navbox enemies (ME3)|
|MEAEnemiesBox||Navbox enemies (Andromeda)|
|MEIEnemiesBox||Navbox enemies (Infiltrator)|
|MEGEnemiesBox||Navbox enemies (Galaxy)|
|Weapons (Mass Effect 2)||Navbox weapons (ME2)|
|Weapons (Mass Effect 3)||Navbox weapons (ME3)|
|Weapons (Andromeda)||Navbox weapons (Andromeda)|
|ME2Armor||Navbox armors (ME2)|
|Armor (Mass Effect 3)||Navbox armors (ME3)|
|MEAArmor||Navbox armors (Andromeda)|
|Squad members footer||Navbox squad members (ME)|
|ME2 squad members footer||Navbox squad members (ME2)|
|Squad Members (Mass Effect 3)||Navbox squad members (ME3)|
|Guides (Mass Effect Andromeda)||Navbox guides (Andromeda)|
|QuickNavMEGuides||Navbox guides (ME)|
|QuickNavMEGuides||Navbox guides (ME2)|
|Guides (Mass Effect 3)||Navbox guides (ME3)|
|Guides (Mass Effect: Andromeda)||Navbox guides (Andromeda)|
|Cerberus DLC Footer||Navbox DLC (ME2)|
|DLC (Mass Effect 3)||Navbox DLC (ME3)|
|Homeworlds Series||Navbox comics (Homeworlds)|
|Foundation Series||Navbox comics (Foundation)|
|Discovery Series||Navbox comics (Discovery)|
|ME3MapsBox||Navbox MP maps (ME3)|
|MEAMapsBox||Navbox MP maps (Andromeda)|
|ME3MPNavFooter||Navbox MP characters (ME3)|
|Classes footer||Navbox classes|
|Races footer||Navbox races|
Update 1: Added (ME) disambiguation to denote infoboxes/navboxes for Mass Effect 1. Added "ME2 squad members footer" into the list which was inadvertently left out. Update 2: Changed option 2 navboxes to use plural nouns for intuitiveness. Removed "x Details" (eg. PlanetDetails) from infoboxes list as they are only a wrapper for the actual infoboxes. StoreItem is removed as its only a part for Store template.
Note: You can vote option 1 AND option 2. This means either you are fine with either choice. If either option a tie, as proposer, I will make the final decision.
Option 1 Edit
- 09:56, March 28, 2017 (UTC)
- T̴̴͕̲̞̳̖̼̱͒͛̎͒ͫ̃ͧeͩ̈̽̈҉͓̝̰̼̦̫̤̀͠m̫̪̪̯̻͎̫̅̇̓̇͌̚p̸̙̝̓̓͌ͨ͆ͣͥ̂̕o͒̽͐̽͏̞̬̻͕͔͕͚̰͍͠͞ṙ̢̞͚͈̹̰ͨ̓ͭ̈́̌ạ̢̧̪̹̺̺̣̹̲͂͆̏ͪͨ͒ͭř̹͈͜͠y̷͍̻̜̹̼̾̽̈́e̵̹̼̟̦͚͐̈́͌͘d͉̲̣̻͉̱͗̅ḭ̷̻̆͋̆̓̔͝t̨͍̦̫̗͂̅̍̋̆ͩ͝ộ̫̟̬̳̝̲̾ͫ̒̿ͮ̑̚rͯ̎ͨͭ̄̿̽͛҉̠̫̱̠̘̘̲́ͅ7̩̻ͤͩͨ͝͡8̜̣̙͇̻ͨ͛͛̆͒̆̽̒͐͜͡ ͥ̍̉̃̇ͥ̓ͨ͏̕҉̥̹͓̗̤̠̖̤ (talk) 00:09, April 1, 2017 (UTC)
Option 2 Edit
- 09:56, March 28, 2017 (UTC)
- --DeldiRe (talk) 11:37, March 28, 2017 (UTC)
- Elseweyr talk • stalk March 31, 2017, 07:36:31 (UTC)
Nah, keep it messy Edit
I would have personally wanted to go ahead with this without a vote because IMO, this is more of an administrative area. My gut feeling is majority of casual editors here would be indifferent about how either naming goes, as long the template exists and it works. But let's see about that.10:01, March 28, 2017 (UTC)
- couple of questions:
- was it ever mentioned why we categorized enemies as adversaries? it sounded way cooler than standard "enemies"
- not a question, but implementation of this scale WILL require botwork. i slapped in as many categories as i can on images before and after uploading and there's a couple thousand of them, not just mine. T̴̴͕̲̞̳̖̼̱͒͛̎͒ͫ̃ͧeͩ̈̽̈҉͓̝̰̼̦̫̤̀͠m̫̪̪̯̻͎̫̅̇̓̇͌̚p̸̙̝̓̓͌ͨ͆ͣͥ̂̕o͒̽͐̽͏̞̬̻͕͔͕͚̰͍͠͞ṙ̢̞͚͈̹̰ͨ̓ͭ̈́̌ạ̢̧̪̹̺̺̣̹̲͂͆̏ͪͨ͒ͭř̹͈͜͠y̷͍̻̜̹̼̾̽̈́e̵̹̼̟̦͚͐̈́͌͘d͉̲̣̻͉̱͗̅ḭ̷̻̆͋̆̓̔͝t̨͍̦̫̗͂̅̍̋̆ͩ͝ộ̫̟̬̳̝̲̾ͫ̒̿ͮ̑̚rͯ̎ͨͭ̄̿̽͛҉̠̫̱̠̘̘̲́ͅ7̩̻ͤͩͨ͝͡8̜̣̙͇̻ͨ͛͛̆͒̆̽̒͐͜͡ ͥ̍̉̃̇ͥ̓ͨ͏̕҉̥̹͓̗̤̠̖̤ (talk) 10:56, March 28, 2017 (UTC)
- I'm in, especially for the second alternative as it is even more clear. I raise the same concerns as TE78 for the implementation.
- Last but not least, I think that we should ass (ME) after the navbox/infobox related to ME1. Now that we have a lot of different game, it should be clearer with (ME). --DeldiRe (talk) 11:39, March 28, 2017 (UTC)
I agree with you on the (ME) affix. I've updated that in.
In regards to the "adversary" infobox name, I have really no idea why it was named was as so (I wasn't around as far back). Curiously, the navbox was named "enemies" instead. I personally think it's just a nicer name for "enemy". I looked it up on Google and this has a good comparison between two words. IMO in the case of Mass Effect, enemy describes our foes better than adversary (not to mention is a shorter and a straightforward word)!
About the botwork, I'm not too familiar with it. Are you referring to automating categories and/or faster update? Otherwise I can do this manually if needed.13:40, March 28, 2017 (UTC)
- waitasec i may have misunderstood your goals. do you only mean to rename the info and navboxes?
- at that level, implementation is trivially easy and can be done by anyone in a few hours max.
- overhauling categories, my main concern, will eat up ridiculous amounts of time that isn't feasible without bots or an unfailing dedication to the wiki. T̴̴͕̲̞̳̖̼̱͒͛̎͒ͫ̃ͧeͩ̈̽̈҉͓̝̰̼̦̫̤̀͠m̫̪̪̯̻͎̫̅̇̓̇͌̚p̸̙̝̓̓͌ͨ͆ͣͥ̂̕o͒̽͐̽͏̞̬̻͕͔͕͚̰͍͠͞ṙ̢̞͚͈̹̰ͨ̓ͭ̈́̌ạ̢̧̪̹̺̺̣̹̲͂͆̏ͪͨ͒ͭř̹͈͜͠y̷͍̻̜̹̼̾̽̈́e̵̹̼̟̦͚͐̈́͌͘d͉̲̣̻͉̱͗̅ḭ̷̻̆͋̆̓̔͝t̨͍̦̫̗͂̅̍̋̆ͩ͝ộ̫̟̬̳̝̲̾ͫ̒̿ͮ̑̚rͯ̎ͨͭ̄̿̽͛҉̠̫̱̠̘̘̲́ͅ7̩̻ͤͩͨ͝͡8̜̣̙͇̻ͨ͛͛̆͒̆̽̒͐͜͡ ͥ̍̉̃̇ͥ̓ͨ͏̕҉̥̹͓̗̤̠̖̤ (talk) 14:52, March 28, 2017 (UTC)
- Yup, renaming the info/navboxes templates (phase 1), then updating the articles with the old template names to the new template names (phase 2).
- As for the categories, I was referring to template's categories, not articles. Taking Template:Weapon (Mass Effect 3) for example, currently it has Templates, Infobox Templates, Mass Effect 3, Weapons categories. The plan is to limit the categories to just Templates and Infobox templates. Article auto-categorisation will remain as it is now. I don't think this require that much of work?
- 15:09, March 28, 2017 (UTC)
- Putting weapon templates in Category:Weapons is meant to facilitate maintenance and organisation (since they're listed under "*"), but if you think this practice should be abandoned, I'm not opposed to it. MEW:Templates has needed an overhaul for a while anyway, so hopefully it can be updated to reflect the current set of templates at some point.
- The standardisation of info- and navbox template names seems like a good idea. "Navbox enemy" sounds a little unintuitive in English (as opposed to "Enemy/Enemies navbox"), but I do think the template name should reflect the type of template somehow, so I'm ok with it if others are. Elseweyr talk • stalk March 31, 2017, 07:35:30 (UTC)
- I debated with myself about this too - whether to use all singular for consistency's sake or have navbox as plural for intuitiveness. I guess I will relent here and have it changed to plural. The other thing I just realised is all the "x Details" templates are not an Infobox. It's a just wrapper for its corresponding Infoboxes, so I'll leave them out from the new naming scheme. 15:45, March 31, 2017 (UTC)
Are there any objections to the proposal? I'd like to get this started right away, maybe during the weekends when I have a little more time than the weekdays. 16:14, March 31, 2017 (UTC)
Thanks for everyone's feedback. This should be good to go. 03:16, April 4, 2017 (UTC)
Implementation progress Edit
Phase 1 complete.
Phase 2 complete. (thanks The Cat Master for helping out).