Mass Effect 2 Edit
This three-barrelled geth weapon fires miniature but potent cluster rounds of superconducting projectiles and has a longer range than standard shotguns. A two-stage trigger system allows for either quick-fire capacitors or a charge-and-release attack to electrify the projectiles as they exit the weapon. As the rounds hit the target, they fragment and electricity arcs between the pieces, flash-converting the air to conductive plasma. The resulting impact, heat, and electrical charge overloads shields and barriers and causes massive trauma to unarmored targets.
Squad Use Edit
E-Mail from the Illusive Man Edit
Player Notes Edit
- This weapon fires 3 plasma balls instead of the standard 8 pellets. The second and third plasma balls will do only 30% base damage if they hit the same target as the first. This means that all 3 plasma balls, with full-charge, on a single target, will do only 556.4 base damage instead of the expected 1043. To maximize overall damage, one should aim to hit a different target with each pellet. If fired while aiming down the sights, the plasma will seek enemies slightly.
- The Geth Plasma Shotgun has a charged-shot feature.
- A full charge can be "held" by simply holding down the fire button, and then released when desired. Sprinting, using powers, and even being staggered or stunned by enemy attacks will not interrupt this; however using tactical pause or opening the game menu will. A fully charged shot expends two ammo instead of one.
- Starting to charge a shot by holding down the fire button causes the damage to ramp up quickly, though it takes some time to reach the maximum charge for maximum damage; maximum charge can be heard from the sound of the charging effect reaching a plateau and also seen visually; only fully charged shots will expend two ammo. The damage increase from holding down a charge even for a fraction of a second is substantial and doing this will expend the same amount of ammo as totally uncharged shots, meaning it's almost always worth charging every shot to some extent.
- If only one shot is left in the sink, the charged shot will only expend that one remaining round. This will still do the same damage of a normal fully charged shot that expends two rounds. In other words it is possible to fire off three fully charged shots from a single five round magazine without damage penalty before reloading.
- If this weapon is charged while Shepard is clinging to cover, it will force Shepard to pop out or lean out. To minimize exposure to enemy fire while charging a shot, the player should stand around corners, behind tall cover, or face away while behind short cover.
- Squadmates are incapable of firing charged shots with this weapon, however as even uncharged shots are powerful and squadmates don't suffer accuracy penalties, the Geth Plasma Shotgun is still an effective weapon for them.
- By firing a regular shot then briefly charging the second shot, two shots can be fired in quick succession. This can also be done by performing a melee attack while firing a partially or fully charged shot, or through extremely careful timing. However, due to the required charging interval, this will not increase DPS.
- With all shotgun upgrades and either Heavy Disruptor Ammo or Heavy Warp Ammo, this weapon is extremely effective against shields and barriers. With damage-increasing armor parts (notably the Kestrel Armor) and an appropriate ammo power, a fully-charged shot can kill most ordinary enemies even on Insanity difficulty.
- Due to this weapon's innate bonus against shields and barriers, it's often a good idea to use an ammo power that is effective against armor or health to maximize the damage efficiency of shots after any barriers or shields have been eliminated. However if you are attempting to go for one-shot kills on targets using charged shots and a damage enhancing power such as Adrenaline Rush or Tactical Cloak, it's best to use an ammo power effective against shields or barriers as an ammo power's buff to the total damage of a single shot will be calculated based on only the first protection layer hit.
- Charging a shot with the Geth Plasma Shotgun before triggering Adrenaline Rush or Tactical Cloak and then releasing the shot during either of those powers will allow the shot to benefit from any damage bonuses. Only starting to charge a shot will break Tactical Cloak, so releasing a shot that was already charging before cloaking will not break invisibility.
- Neither charged or uncharged shots with the Geth Plasma Shotgun benefit from bonus headshot damage.
- The Geth Plasma Shotgun is unable to destroy certain "environmental destructibles" such as the geth hubs in Legion: A House Divided.
Mass Effect 3 Edit
- The Geth Plasma Shotgun was designed to be an "unshotgun," allowing players to reliably deal damage at longer ranges than normally allowed. Wanting to preserve the "heavy hitting" aspect of shotguns, the overcharge ability was added to compensate for its lessened effectiveness at shorter range.
- In Mass Effect 3, when in the modification screen, the Shotgun High Caliber Barrel mod will only appear on the top-right barrel, whereas in-game, the mod shows up on both the top barrels.
- Also, if a Shotgun Blade Attachment is added, it will seemingly be placed on the lower barrel, blocking it. This does not affect performance in-game.
See also Edit
|Mass Effect 2 Downloadable Content|
|Promotional||Blood Dragon Armor • Collectors' Weapon and Armor • Inferno Armor |
M-29 Incisor Sniper Rifle • Terminus Weapon and Armor
|Cerberus Network||Zaeed - The Price of Revenge • Normandy Crash Site |
Cerberus Weapon and Armor • Arc Projector • Firewalker Pack
|Missions||Kasumi - Stolen Memory • Overlord • Lair of the Shadow Broker • Arrival|
|Additional Content||Alternate Appearance Packs • Equalizer Pack • Aegis Pack • Firepower Pack |
Mass Effect: Genesis • Recon Operations Pack • N7 Complete Arsenal Bundle
|Mass Effect 2 Weapons|
|Heavy Pistols||M-3 Predator • M-6 Carnifex • M-5 Phalanx|
|Submachine Guns||M-4 Shuriken • M-9 Tempest • M-12 Locust|
|Shotguns||M-23 Katana • M-27 Scimitar • M-300 Claymore • M-22 Eviscerator • Geth Plasma Shotgun|
|Assault Rifles||M-8 Avenger • M-15 Vindicator • Geth Pulse Rifle • M-76 Revenant • Collector Assault Rifle • M-96 Mattock|
|Sniper Rifles||M-92 Mantis • M-97 Viper • M-98 Widow • M-29 Incisor|
|Heavy Weapons||M-100 Grenade Launcher • ML-77 Missile Launcher • M-622 Avalanche • M-920 Cain • Collector Particle Beam • M-490 Blackstorm • M-451 Firestorm • Arc Projector|