|This article is about the submachine gun in Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3. For the ship in Mass Effect: Andromeda, see Tempest.|
Mass Effect 2 Edit
This submachine gun fires in long deadly bursts. Very effective against shields and biotic barriers. Inaccurate at long range. Weak against armor. Upgrades the Shuriken Machine Pistol.
The commonality of kinetic barriers has led to increased demand for rapid-fire weapons like the Tempest. Produced by Elanus Risk Control Services for the Eclipse mercenary band, the Tempest is an expensive but deadly addition to anyone’s personal arsenal.
The Tempest is acquired from a dead quarian during Tali's recruitment mission. Make sure to pick it up before you answer the quarian radio. If you ever miss that one for whatever reason, you may have your second chance to pick up the Tempest in the room blocked by a pillar (which you have to blow up), where you can talk to Tali by radio.
Squad Use Edit
Player Notes Edit
- Its high capacity magazine, spare ammo and reasonable damage make it an excellent anti-shield/barrier or suppressive weapon.
- This weapon only fires in automatic mode or five-round burst fire mode. It is impossible to fire a single round. This five-round burst will happen even if fewer than five rounds remain in the magazine when fired.
- While initial accuracy is good, bullet spread increases very rapidly when using automatic fire making the Tempest one of the least accurate weapons during automatic fire. Recoil is substantial as well, requiring significant compensation. Good accuracy can be maintained by firing in five-round bursts with pauses between bursts, though of course this will reduce damage output.
- Tempest vs M-12 Locust: At short range, the Tempest will do slightly more damage to barriers, health, and shields and slightly less against armor. However, due to much lower bullet spread and recoil on automatic fire, the Locust outperforms the Tempest at medium and long range.
- Squadmates do not suffer from accuracy-related issues, and they also tend to fire the Tempest in longer bursts than the Locust, making the Tempest the superior SMG choice for them.
Mass Effect 3 Edit
- Despite the muzzle flash coming from the bottom barrel, the High Caliber Barrel mod appears attached to the top one.
- In Mass Effect: Andromeda, the name of M-9 Tempest has changed to "Charger" due to avoid the clash with the name of the Pathfinder's spaceship Tempest.