|This article is about the DLC interactive comic before Mass Effect 2. For the interactive comic in the Mass Effect 3: Special Edition, see Mass Effect: Genesis 2.|
Mass Effect: Genesis is a downloadable "interactive backstory comic" produced by Dark Horse Comics for the PlayStation 3 release of Mass Effect 2 and later made available for Xbox 360 and PC. Genesis was released on January 18, 2011 for PlayStation 3, and May 17, 2011 for Xbox 360 and PC. An updated version of the comic, Mass Effect: Genesis 2, is included in the Mass Effect 3: Special Edition for Wii U.
Genesis fills the role of Mass Effect for new players by introducing them to the story of the original game and allowing them to make six of the major plot decisions that Xbox 360 and PC players could make (see Save File Transfer). If downloaded, the comic appears between the opening level and character customization. There are two versions of the comic, one each for a male and female Commander Shepard.
Choices[edit | edit source]
The six choices that players can make in Mass Effect: Genesis are as follows:
- Who became Shepard's love interest?
- Should the Rachni Queen on Noveria be freed or destroyed?
- What is the fate of Urdnot Wrex on Virmire?
- Who is sacrificed on Virmire, Ashley Williams or Kaidan Alenko?
- What happens to the Citadel Council during the Battle of the Citadel?
- Who does Shepard endorse to represent humanity on the Council, David Anderson or Donnel Udina?
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you used Mass Effect: Genesis to customize your Mass Effect 2 playthrough with Mass Effect story decisions on the Xbox 360, and you then want to do additional Mass Effect 2 playthroughs by importing your initial Mass Effect 2 save games, you should delete Mass Effect: Genesis before attempting to start the new playthrough. If you don’t, the game will force you through the interactive comic even though you’re importing an earlier Mass Effect 2 playthrough.
- If you used Mass Effect: Genesis, Miranda won't ask about your choice for human councilor on the shuttle to Minuteman Station (since your choice will be saved through the comic).
- Imported playthroughs from Mass Effect still trigger Mass Effect: Genesis; the player's major choices in the game are then shown through the comic, skipping the usual dialogue wheels (the sole exception being the choice of human councilor, since the original game did not properly save that choice).
- Mass Effect: Genesis does not mention some events and subjects that were part of Mass Effect, namely the mission on Feros, and the geth and their overall involvement in the game. Additionally, no assignments are explored - they are considered unfinished.
Pricing[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
|Mass Effect 2 Downloadable Content|
|Promotional||Blood Dragon Armor • Collectors' Weapon and Armor • Inferno Armor |
M-29 Incisor Sniper Rifle • Terminus Weapon and Armor
|Cerberus Network||Zaeed - The Price of Revenge • Normandy Crash Site |
Cerberus Weapon and Armor • Arc Projector • Firewalker Pack
|Missions||Kasumi - Stolen Memory • Overlord • Lair of the Shadow Broker • Arrival|
|Additional Content||Alternate Appearance Packs • Equalizer Pack • Aegis Pack • Firepower Pack |
Mass Effect: Genesis • Recon Operations Pack • N7 Complete Arsenal Bundle