Archiving a talk page cleans up and shortens an excessively long talk page and provides easily accessible references for past discussions. Archives can be added to any talk pages on Mass Effect Wiki. This help article will explain how to archive and offer some tips on what to avoid.
When to archiveEdit
A talk page should be archived when it is generally too large or cluttered for comments to be easily added and read. It is recommended that you leave active discussions on the talk page and only archive the stale ones.
How do I archive a talk page?Edit
There are two simple ways in which a talk page can be archived:
- Copy and paste all the talk page source content that needs to be archived into a separate page.
- Move the whole talk page to another name and replace the resulting redirect with a link to the archive(s).
The new archive page should be suitably named and in the correct namespace. For example, User talk:Example/Archive X (archive for User:Example's talk page) or Talk:Article/Archive X (archive for article named "Article"), where X can either be a numerical count or date.
See Help:Editing on how to create or move a page.
- Archive talk pages by sections.
- Avoid discussions on archived talk pages.
- Comments should generally not be removed when archiving.
- Visibly link to any archived talk pages from the original talk page.
- Explain that you're archiving in the edit summary.
- An archived talk page is still considered a talk page.