|This article is about the starship in Mass Effect: Andromeda. For the weapon in Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, see M-9 Tempest.|
The Tempest was originally one of several purpose-built ships for each ark's Pathfinder team. Kallo Jath was part of the team that designed and tested the Tempest and its prototype. Because the Initiative needed absolutely up-to-date technology for its construction, some of it were procured through dubiously legal means.
When the Nexus struck the Scourge after arriving in the Heleus Cluster, the other Pathfinder ships were destroyed, making the Tempest one of a kind. Before the arrival of Ark Hyperion, Nexus leadership had planned to dismantle the Tempest for its parts, but Vetra Nyx protected the ship.
Internal Layout Edit
Research Room EditND1 Nomad are done in the research room, supported by discoveries from the ship's tech and bio labs. It is situated at the ship's approximate center on Deck 2, between engineering at the aft and the tech and bio labs at the fore. Additionally, Strike Teams missions can be launched from a terminal in this room. This is the location of the Research Center on the Tempest.
The holographic projector table displays a representation of the location pertinent to the Pathfinder's next major course of action.
Tech Lab Edit
Bio Lab Edit
Cora Harper takes care of the hydroponics in the lab during her downtime.
Meeting Room EditNexus or other parties. It is the only chamber on Deck 1.
Engineering EditGil Brodie monitors here when he's not around other parts of the ship.
According to Kallo, there are secret compartments here. Vetra Nyx has appropriated this place for supply storage and other requisitions.
Med Bay EditRespec Station can be found. Dr. Lexi T'Perro can be found here when she's not on other parts of the ship.
Cargo Bay Edit
Other miscellaneous items in the cargo bay include a Forward Station and an inoperative EVA module regularly tinkered on by crew members.
Crew Quarters Edit
The Crew Info Board is found here. There's also space for a coffee machine and a desk for computer work on opposite sides.
The galley supplies start out as meager rations from what little the Nexus has to spare. As the team progresses through the cluster, it eventually becomes stocked with fresh produce from newly-founded outposts as well as newly-discovered trading partners.
Nakmor Drack claims the galley as his quarters upon joining the crew, though he can be found more often on other parts of the ship.
Pathfinder's Cabin Editwardrobe, display shelves for model ships, a window to (or a projection of) space taking up an entire side, and far larger living quarters compared to the crew's. It is on Deck 3, directly below the bridge.
SAM has a terminal next to the model ship displays. An e-mail terminal next to him can be used to access and acknowledge incoming messages. If a Space Hamster has been acquired, it can also be seen here on a transparent cage with ample food.
Bridge EditGalaxy Map and email terminal can be accessed from this location.
Escape Pods Edit
Normally used for the purpose its name suggests, after Peebee joins the crew she adopts it as her own makeshift quarters. Her "pet" Remnant Observer, Poc, is usually kept here after its construction. The room is on Deck 2, beside the bridge.
This is where people disembark in facilities that can accommodate airlock interfaces. Prior to leaving the ship, the Pathfinder can customize their gear in the loadout station here. It is on Deck 2, opposite the escape pods.
The storage room in the Deck 3 aft section has been appropriated by Liam Kosta for his quarters. It has his worn-out sleeping couch prominent among other items.
Technology EditCitadel Council's restrictions on civilian vessels bearing military-grade weaponry, and the Initiative's own emphasis on peaceful exploration, the Tempest completely lacks any external armaments such as torpedo launchers or mass accelerator cannons. Heavy armour and a main gun were traded in the design phase for a vessel that is small, stealthy and fast, capable of both interstellar exploration and subtle infiltration in equal measure. With an IES stealth system derived from the technology first employed by the SSV Normandy, the Tempest can remain hidden from most forms of detection, while its superior speed and maneuverability make it easily able to evade any pursuing vessels should its presence be discovered.
The ship's engine is based on the arks' ODSY drive, recycling static energy buildup to power her systems. It took technicians weeks to miniaturize the design for the Tempest, along with several electrical shocks.
The Tempest is capable of covering 13 lightyears per day in FTL. Its size allows it to land on planets with little trouble, much like the SSV Normandy and unlike the larger Normandy SR-2. Four main thrusters provide its propulsion and it has four additional downward thrusters to stabilize its descent: two below the canard and two below the main wings. It is equipped with an array of scanners for determining groundside conditions before landing, along with a dedicated probe bay to help it pinpoint anomalies both in space and on the ground.
- Kallo Jath
- Test pilot and the only one of the team who departed for Andromeda.
- Lucille Diawara
- Lead designer. She broke her back during construction, forcing her to convert a construction mech into a wearable rig. Prior to the Initiative's voyage she glued her rig into the armory (her artist signature) and set it up so that an audio log from her activates once a SAM unit scans the 70-kilo rig.
- Lucille seemed to be a fan of William Shakespeare, or more specifically, The Tempest.
- Systems designer. His teammates pranked him one time by messing with his power distribution model when he forgot to lock his terminal. For two days he was convinced turning on all the bathroom lights would overload the engine core. Remembered by Kallo arguing equations with Teon one time.
- Debugger, remembered by Kallo to be stumped on code line 2281. Worked with Teon for weeks to fit an ODSY drive into the Tempest's smaller profile.
- Teon'Adda vas Moreh
- Quarian aerospace engineer. Resourceful enough to circumvent racism on Omega by using a memory foam glued to his enviro-suit to make a mold of the drive core components he wanted.
- Pathfinder Ryder - Current Pathfinder/Squad Leader
- Cora Harper - Squad Member/Second in command
- Kallo Jath - Pilot
- Dr. Lexi T'Perro - Medical Officer
- Dr. Suvi Anwar - Science Officer
- Gil Brodie - Chief Engineer
- Nakmor Drack - Squad Member
- Vetra Nyx - Squad Member/Logistics
- Pelessaria B'Sayle (Peebee) - Squad Member
- Liam Kosta - Squad Member
- Jaal Ama Darav - Squad Member
The following Priority Ops missions take place or are acquired on the Tempest:
- A Better Beginning
- A Trail of Hope I
- A Trail of Hope II
- Elaaden: A New World
- Epilogue: Home and Away
- First Strike
- H-047c: A New World
- Helping Havarl's Scientists (Priority Ops - Ryder partially completes Meet the Resistance mission arc)
- Hunting the Archon
- Meet the Resistance (Priority Ops - Ryder completes this mission before Helping Havarl's Scientists)
- The Journey to Meridian
- The World is Waiting
The following Allies and Relationships missions take place or are acquired on the Tempest:
- Cora Harper: A Foundation
- Cora Harper: Asari Ark
- Dissension in the Ranks
- Gil Brodie: A Game of Poker
- Jaal Ama Darav: Flesh and Blood
- Jaal Ama Darav: Friend or Foe?
- Liam Kosta: All In
- Liam Kosta: Armor Diplomacy
- Liam Kosta: Community
- Liam Kosta: Day out on Aya
- Liam Kosta: Something for the Neighbors
- Nakmor Drack: Krogan Betrayal
- Night on the Town
- Peebee: A Mysterious Remnant Signal
- Peebee: Reclaiming Poc
- Peebee: Remnant Scanner
- Peebee: Secret Project
- Peebee: Spirits
- The Little Things That Matter
- Truth and Trespass
- Turian Ark: Lost But Not Forgotten
- Vetra Nyx: Means and Ends
The following Heleus Assignments missions take place or are acquired on the Tempest:
- Doesn't Add Up
- Helping Havarl's Scientists (Heleus Assignment - Ryder first completes Meet the Resistance mission arc)
- Life on the Frontier
- Meet the Resistance (Heleus Assignment - Ryder completes this mission after Helping Havarl's Scientists)
- Monkeys in Space (Only exists in Deluxe or Super Deluxe Editions)
- Movie Night: Better Snacks
- Movie Night: Getting Started
- Movie Night: Raise a Glass
- Movie Night: Snacks
- Movie Night: The Final Piece
- Movie Night: The Right Setup
- Safe Journeys
- Settling Kadara
- The Visitor
The following Additional Tasks take place or are acquired on the Tempest:
On Lexi's desk in the med bay:
- In the crew quarters, there are two Plants vs. Zombies plush toys on one of the beds.
- A small black and gold decal on either side of the aft hull identifies the ship as a "M90 SERIES CLASS A EXPLORATION VHCLE" with code 14K.BRCR 318 :O:
- If playing the Deluxe or Super Deluxe editions, the pyjak obtained during the edition-exclusive side-mission Monkeys in Space can be found in random locations around the ship.
- In an apparent nod to previous Mass Effect titles, a red and white decal on both sides of the aft hull provides the following information: