The Venom shotgun was developed by the salarian Special Tasks Group to meet the unpredictable needs of those stationed in hostile areas. The double barrel fires ammunition that detonates on impact, while a third barrel below can be charged to fire a round of microgrenades. Given the covert nature of most STG assignments, the Venom was designed to force an exit strategy and was issued to teams whose primary objective was to extract compromised undercover operatives. The shotgun is now issued to frontline soldiers in the war against the Reapers.
Player Notes Edit
- Treat the Venom like a grenade launcher. This weapon's main asset is its high damage. It has 2 firing modes:
- Uncharged - fire one explosive round on a shallow trajectory to target that detonates on impact.
- Charged - fire one round on a shallow trajectory to target that separates into five bomblets on impact, which in turn detonate after a very short delay. The overall damage is greater. Note: Squadmates will only fire uncharged shots when armed with this weapon.
- The Venom's main disadvantage is its weight, and players reliant on tech and/or biotic powers should take note of this. Even after upgrading the Venom to level X, it remains considerably heavier than other shotguns such as the M-11 Wraith. You may not want to have other weapons in the loadout to enjoy the bonus to power recharge speed.
- Charged shots can be used to bombard groups of targets at range, or attempt trick shots exploiting walls and ceilings to rain bomblets against enemies that took cover. You can also flush targets out of cover by firing it to the side of where they're hiding, and letting the spread do the work.
- Because the Venom Shotgun fires explosive-based rounds, ammo powers and weapon mods that enhance penetration serve no purpose. The Venom Shotgun is not capable of penetrating armor, even with an armor penetrating mod, such as the Shotgun Shredder Mod, Shotgun High-Velocity Barrel, or Armor-Piercing Ammo.
- Explosive shots can blow enemy bodies into scraps to prevent Cannibals from consuming them and restoring their armor.
- The Venom Shotgun does not benefit from bonus headshot damage. Due to the explosive nature of the projectiles, headshots are not possible with this weapon. There is no benefit gained from or for using powers with this shotgun that increase headshot damage.
- The Shotgun Spare Thermal Clip is recommended to enhance the Venom's ammo capacity.
- The Venom can deal considerable damage even on Insanity difficulty with the proper loadout. It has one of the fastest times to kill any unit: At level X, with the Shotgun High Caliber Barrel mod equipped and Incendiary Ammo active, a single charged shot from the Venom that hits its mark can instantly kill tough enemies like Brutes and Phantoms, and three to four charged shots can easily take down Atlases, Geth Primes, Adjutants, Harvesters and Banshees. This factor is not to be underestimated. It functions quite literally the same as Heavy Weapons did from Mass Effect 2, if used with the same sort of moderation.
- It can be wise to pair this weapon with the Soldier, as a result of the weapon weight and the Soldier class's reduced dependence on active powers, and to specialize the loadout with damage mods and armor pieces to further boost the Venom's performance.